If you are anything like me, canned veggies kinda make you shutter a little bit. So, in honor of Thanksgiving, I am going to share my families very delicious and totally unhealthy recipe for the best damn green beans your holiday table has ever seen. It's nothing gourmet or fancy, but it hits the spot and marks the beginning of the holiday season for me. I sort of pride myself on being a foodie, but there are times that comfort trumps fanciness and this is exactly one of those times.
Drumroll please... May I present Swiss Beans!
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
4 Tbsp grated onion, use a cheese grater or you can finely chop it
2 cups sour cream
8 cups drained cooked green beans (make sure they are still a little crunchy)
1 lb swiss cheese, grated
4 cups corn flakes, crushed
4 Tbsp butter
1. Melt 4 Tbsp butter over medium heat and add flour, stir until it forms a paste.
2. Add salt, pepper, sugar and onion. Mix thoroughly.
3. Fold in sour cream and cook over medium low heat a few minutes until thickened.
4. Fold in cooked green beans.
5. Spray 9x13 pyrex with cooking spray. Spread half of the green bean/sour cream mixture on the bottom of the pyrex dish and top with half of the swiss cheese. Repeat the layers making sure to end with cheese on top.
6. Melt remaining 4 Tbsp. of butter and add crushed cornflakes.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes and top with cornflakes only for the last 10 minutes